Gosford Public School
The Gosford Public School Relocation project involved the construction of a complete new Primary School within the grounds of the existing Henry Kendall High School. This logistically challenging project was built four months ahead of the contractual completion date.
- Five new interconnected 2 and 3 storey Blocks B, C, D, E and F including new classrooms, administration facilities, library, communal hall, canteen, out of school hours care facilities and basement parking;
- Substantial refurbishment of Existing Classroom Block A to accommodate changed use of classrooms by the High School with the top floor becoming Primary School Classrooms;
- Refurbishments within existing Blocks F, K and P of the High School to facilitate the co-location of the schools;
- New Games Court for the High School;
- New Carparking and Roof Refurbishment for the High School Agricultural Learning Facility;
- Extensive new external works for the new Primary School on a restricted and sloping site comprising a new Entry Road, Covered Outdoor Learning Area, Assembly Area, Terraced Play Area, Primary School Games Court, new School Entry, Stairs, Ramps and Elevated Walkways.
Project Coordination initiated a number of design changes that not only improved the project design outcome but also achieved significant construction time and cost savings for the benefit of the Client.
All external areas were redesigned to make better use of the sloping site. A more efficient disabled access system was adopted creating space that was turned into larger play areas available to the students.
Innovative material selections were adopted which complimented the existing design and minimised the requirement for future maintenance, whilst also achieving the necessary bushfire, environmental and school performance criteria.
More than 20 individual design changes were successfully proposed, investigated, designed, documented and incorporated into the works during the construction phase of the project. These contributed to bringing the completion date forward by four months and provided substantial savings to the Client.